How Being Outside Helps Me Get Rid of My Depression

Every instinct in my body urges me to stay in bed when I'm depressed and not get out. It can be difficult to resist my depression sometimes, even though I know it will only get worse.

Spending time outside is a healthy coping strategy I picked up early in my battle with treatment resistant depression. It always seems to bring me serenity and insight. I would either open my windows or go sit outdoors if I couldn't sleep in the middle of the night when experiencing a severely depressed episode. I would sit on my porch at three in the morning, listen to music, and consider my feelings. Getting out of bed and into the fresh air was therapeutic.


Depression



When it's tough to even get out of bed in the morning, spending time outside might feel like an overwhelming undertaking. Any meaning you choose for spending time outside is up to you. It's not even necessary to run or even walk; you may simply stand outside for five minutes while taking in the fresh air.


It’s OK to modify your plans.


When I tell myself I have to go for a run even when I don't feel good enough to, I've found that I wind up doing nothing. When a goal I've set in the past overwhelms me right now, I find that I stop working on it. Walking is preferable to doing nothing. It's preferable to spend five minutes outside than to stay indoors. If you set a lofty objective for yourself and it seems too daunting on that particular day, change it to something you CAN accomplish.


Use your time outside to multitask with something else you love. 


I've discovered that reading has improved my mental health. While reading, I am able to stop my mind from racing. I started reading virtually every day on my porch, and it has done wonders for my mental health. Being outside and avoiding screens makes me feel so good (which we could all probably use more of).

If you can't read outside every day, you can stroll while listening to an audiobook or a podcast. I enjoy listening to podcasts that are inspiring. They assist in putting life and the world in perspective for me. I also enjoy making calls to people I care about when out walking. It's a terrific opportunity to catch up with someone and enjoy some fresh air at the same time. My mental health is substantially improved by going for walks outside.


Finding a buddy to help you spend time outside can be beneficial.


Ask a person you talk to whether they want to go outdoors and do anything. Take a walk with your dog. Occasionally, have supper outside rather than at the table in the kitchen.


It's okay if you only venture outdoors to open your window to enjoy some fresh air today. Be kind to yourself and remember that tomorrow is a new day. Set modest, doable objectives for yourself.


You'll benefit from getting some fresh air, I assure you. Set a goal for yourself to get outside at least once a day. You are capable of completing this.


Now get up and go outside!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Can Anxiety Make You Depressed

Do I Need Therapy?

What resources are available to you online for managing depression?